For this review we will be looking at the Exclusive Large Breed Adult formula
Exclusive dog food is known for being an inexpensive brand while providing quality ingredients essential to your dog’s health. They boast having real meat as the #1 ingredient in all their formulas, which is ideal when choosing the right dog food. If you're feeling the squeeze on your wallet like a lot of us dog owners, these formulas are great for someone on a budget.
Exclusive dog food currently has 7 different types of dry dog food in the market, 4 of which meet the AAFCO nutrient requirements. They are as follows:
- Low cost
- Quality ingredients with plenty of protein
- Less nutrients than other brands
- Contains grains- which can cause allergies
Ingredients listed on the bag of Exclusive Large Breed Adult Chicken & Brown Rice formula
Chicken, chicken meal (natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin), whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, brewers rice, turkey meal (natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin), oatmeal, chicken fat preserved with mixed tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), dried beet pulp, natural flavor, egg product, flaxseed, fish meal (natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin), potassium chloride, salt, salmon oil (source of DHA & EPA), choline chloride, beta carotene, dried chicory root, L-carnitine, yucca schidigera extract, blueberries, cranberries, alfalfa meal, turmeric, dried brewers yeast, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1 ), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), vitamin A supplement, biotin, niacin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6 ), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2 ), vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, rosemary extract, dried Aspergillus Niger Fermentation extract, dried Bacillus Subtilis fermentation extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Yeast Culture.
According to Dog Food Advisor the following ingredients are considered controversial: brewers rice, dried beet pulp, alfalfa meal and dried brewers yeast. While these ingredients are approved to be in your dog’s food, some dog owners have found them to be the cause of irritation or other health-related issues.
Most dog food has some ingredients that are considered controversial, this doesn’t mean you need to stay away from them, but be aware that if your dog has problems related to their food it might be caused by some of these ingredients. If you have any questions you should always ask your vet.
Let’s take a look at some of the ingredients line by line
- The first 2 ingredients are a raw meat and a meat concentrate. It is a good sign to have raw meat listed as the first ingredient. Meat concentrates, when they define the source of the concentrate, are also good to see at the beginning of an ingredients list. They can contain up to 300% more protein than the raw meat ingredient they are made from.
- The next 2, brown rice and barley, are great sources of carbohydrates. While good for providing energy, these ingredients only offer a minimal level of nutrition.
- The fifth ingredient is brewers rice. This ingredient is considered controversial because it is a cereal grain by-product.
- The next 3 ingredients, turkey meal, oatmeal and chicken fat are great sources of protein and grains. Oatmeal contains B-vitamins and dietary fiber, which promotes good digestive health. Chicken fat contains Omega-6 fatty acids, good for maintaining a healthy coat.
- Ingredient number 9 is beet pulp. While this ingredient is a controversial by-product of sugar beet processing, some claim it has benefits for intestinal health and blood sugar control.
Other notable ingredients:
Flax seed- rich in Omega-3 fatty acids.
Chicory root- a prebiotic rich in soluble dietary fiber, which promotes good digestive health.
Guaranteed analysis of some key nutrient categories
These concentrations are considered average compared to most dry dog foods.
Is Exclusive dog food a good choice for your dog? Overall, consumers have positive things to say about the various formulas. In general, the price seems to be what is most appealing about this brand of dog food. For the price, the ingredients are of high quality. While I generally advise dog owners to buy a more expensive brand that will be better for their dog’s health, if Exclusive fits your budget better, it is a good choice.